USTelecom is the leading voice of the broadband innovation industry. Our members are committed to building the networks that connect communities everywhere to the power and promise of high-speed internet, and to deploying the transformative new services and technologies they enable. The association’s mission is to advance broadband’s future and deliver bottom-line results for our members, promoting a policy environment that fosters innovation, connects communities, encourages investment, buoys economic growth, and creates business opportunity and success for our industry, our affiliates, our partners, and the diverse communities and customers they serve. Working with some of the world’s most dynamic and forward-looking companies – urban and rural, publicly traded and privately held – we are leading the national technology and innovation conversation, and redefining policy advocacy for the 21st century.
USTelecom is an equal employment opportunity employer committed to inclusive hiring, advancement and professional development. We celebrate diversity in all its facets and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
The Director of Communications will join a team that strategically and creatively helps the association implement integrated communications projects focused on the future of connectivity. The director will be highly motivated, an excellent writer, well-organized, and flexible, with the ability to work simultaneously on various complex matters. You will also regularly engage with our members, partners, and other stakeholders to advance USTelecom’s agenda.
- Break down complex policies into powerful messages, storylines, and narratives to be driven through earned media, thought leadership, and digital channel strategies
- Think strategically and creatively to develop communications to proactively tell the broadband story to external audiences, including media, influencers, and consumers
- Propose, write and edit clear, concise, and effective communications via statements, releases, talking points, opinion pieces, and other thought leadership opportunities to advance USTelecom’s advocacy efforts
- Engage directly with news outlets in a fast-paced, high-profile media environment. Develop strategies to pitch and place stories in national, state, and local news outlets. Respond to media inquiries and cultivate, develop, and maintain relationships with industry media
- 5-7 years of experience working on technology policy issues in government, on Capitol Hill, in a newsroom, agency, or a trade association
- Exceptional written and verbal skills
- Ability to simplify complex messages with an emphasis on creating narratives and telling stories that move and inspire
- Experienced writer and editor, including news releases, opinion pieces, letters to the editor, blogs, and short-form digital communications
- Innovative, organized, and self-motivated with a keen interest in driving strategic messages
- Meticulous attention to detail
- Proven ability to develop content on short timelines and to work independently
- Ability to multitask in a fast-paced environment
USTelecom celebrates diversity in all facets and believes that diverse perspectives are key to driving innovation and commitment to the communities we serve. USTelecom offers a competitive salary, a generous benefits package, a collaborative, collaborative work environment, and a Metro-accessible location.
Interested candidates should submit a detailed resume, cover letter and two writing samples that include an opinion piece or blog via e-mail to email@example.com with “DIRECTOR OF COMMUNICATIONS” in the subject line. No phone calls please.
EOE/M/F/D/V. For more information, please visit www.ustelecom.org.