April 4, 2022
‘Effectiveness of Pro-Investment US Regulatory Model is a Lesson for the World’
- US deployment advantage: + 11 percentage points ≥ 30 Mbps; + 25 percentage points ≥ 100 Mbps
- US extends its lead in consumer broadband adoption – with greatest edge ≥ 100 Mbps
- US consumers benefit from two times more facilities-based competition than EU consumers
Washington, DC – USTelecom | The Broadband Association, a leading association of connectivity providers and innovators, today released US vs EU Broadband Trends (2012-2020). The report features updated research showing the United States continues to lead the European Union (EU) in broadband deployment and adoption, while also outpacing Europe on broadband investment and competition.
US vs. EU Broadband Trends (2012-2020) debunks the persistent myth that the EU’s more intensive regulatory framework for broadband has yielded a superior online experience for consumers and ought to be replicated in the United States.
Instead, the report reinforces the substantial lead the United States has over the EU on critical metrics from infrastructure deployment and consumer broadband adoption to investment and competition. These findings offer compelling validation that the US regulatory model – one that encourages vigorous private investment in continually building, maintaining and upgrading US broadband infrastructure – has yielded superior outcomes for American consumers and the nation’s digital future, when compared to the EU’s more heavily regulatory approach.
“The times we live in today make clear the essential nature of broadband not only to everyone in our country but to people around the world,” said USTelecom President and CEO Jonathan Spalter. “This analysis illuminates the powerful, cause-and-effect relationship between sound, constructive public policy and transformative outcomes for consumers and the broader economy. It is our hope that the effectiveness of the US regulatory model is a lesson for the world in spurring investment, advancing competition and accelerating broadband’s many benefits to people everywhere.”
US vs. EU Broadband Trends (2012-2020) key findings:
- The US continues to handily lead the EU in broadband infrastructure deployment, consumer broadband adoption and facilities-based competition;
- On deployment, the US leads by 11 percentage points ≥30 Mbps and 25 points ≥ 100 Mbps;
- On adoption, the US leads EU by 10 percentage points ≥ 25 Mbps and 21 points ≥ 100 Mbps;
- On competition, US consumers benefit from more than twice the facilities-based competition of their EU counterparts. When comparing only rural areas, the U.S. lead extends to more than 7X;
- Both the US and EU are making progress on subscriptions ≥ 100 Mbps, and a majority of connected US households now have subscriptions ≥ 100 Mbps.
Download US vs. EU Broadband Trends (2012-2020) HERE.
USTelecom is the national trade association representing technology providers, innovators, suppliers, and manufacturers committed to connecting the world through the power of broadband. Visit us at www.ustelecom.org.